Getting Your Technology Up to Speed with the Common Core Technology Standards
Currently, 41 states are using the Common Core State Standards. This means that the vast majority of schools, administrators, and teachers in the United States must align their curricula to ensure student mastery of these standards throughout the course of each grade level from kindergarten through 12th grade. This can seem like an overwhelming task, but by updating classrooms with Promethean’s hardware and software, schools can ensure that the four major technology standards are incorporated into daily classroom lessons in ways that can be applied in all grade levels and subject matter.
Below are the four technology related “college and career readiness” anchor standards for speaking, listening, and writing. We have paired these four anchor standards with some tips on how to get your technology up to speed with Promethean hardware and software and thereby bring these standards to life in the classroom!
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.SL.2: Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
- Promethean Hardware: Upgrading to Promethean’s ActivPanel & OPS-G gives teachers and students interactive access to digital content through the wide range of apps that can be downloaded from our Promethean App store, as well as the Google Play Store. Examples include videos, music, 3D simulations, and more!
- Suggested Apps: BrainPop, Khan Academy, School Tube, and Cell World.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.SL.5: Make strategic use of digital media and visual displays of data to express information and enhance understanding of presentations.
- Promethean Hardware: Replacing outdated hardware with Promethean’s ActivPanel & OPS-G allow both teachers and students to wirelessly project digital content through our ActivCast app: Students can wirelessly share their digital media of choice with the rest of the class as long as they have access to any internet connected student device
- Promethean Software: With ClassFlow, students can share their thoughts and ideas digitally during class discussions using ClassFlow Quick Polls. This not only acts as a visual display of data, it also allows all students to express information simultaneously, and also helps teachers monitor student understanding of presentations
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.W.6: Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others.
- Promethean Hardware: The ActivPanel & OPS-G provide a perfect avenue for students to showcase their own published work on a big screen using ActivCast, an educational app, or any other student chosen source from the Internet. Students are only limited by their imaginations!
- Collaboration Ideas: Using the Google Education Suite, students can collaborate on projects and writing through Google Classroom, Google Docs, Google Slides and more!
- Publishing ideas: Text blogging through Blogger, WordPress, and Google Sites, and video blogging through YouTube
- Suggested Apps: Adobe Slate, Book Creator, YouTube, Google Classroom, Google Docs, Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Slides
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.W.8: Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, assess the credibility and accuracy of each source, and integrate the information while avoiding plagiarism.
- Promethean Hardware: Using the ActivPanel & OPS-G, teachers can model reading and citing work from digital sources using apps and websites such as Scholastic News, Time for Kids, and Notability (high school).
- Promethean Software: Teachers can create lessons about digital citizenship and using ClassFlow or ActivInspire lesson delivery software.
7 ways to address Common Core tech standards. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.iste.org/explore/articleDetail?articleid=720
Burns, M. (n.d.). The Common Core and Digital Skills Development. Retrieved from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/common-core-digital-skills-development-monica-burns
English Language Arts Standards » Anchor Standards » College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards for Speaking and Listening. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/CCRA/SL/
English Language Arts Standards » Anchor Standards » College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards for Writing. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/CCRA/W/
Exactly What The Common Core Standards Say About Technology. (2016, January 26). Retrieved from https://www.teachthought.com/pedagogy/exactly-what-the-common-core-standards-say-about-technology/
About the Author: Chelsea Thurlow is Promethean’s Education Consultant for New England, residing in West Hartford, Connecticut. Prior to joining Promethean, she taught kindergarten through fifth grade in a diverse urban magnet school setting. Chelsea enjoys supporting teachers across the country while continuing her love of learning in the exciting field of education technology.
We can't wait for you to share your love of learning with us at the IDL mini-conference! https://t.co/zsBQBkjbuKFollow
Promethean Partnership Tackled Digital Disparity Districtwide Read more here: https://t.co/iiP0LSP6uGFollow